Discussion Questions: Chapter 2
Due: Monday, February 11, 2013 by 10am CST
1.
What is one problem you have had when using social media and being
misunderstood?
2.
Think about if you didn’t have Facebook, texting, email, Skype, etc. How often
would you communicate with your friends and family?
I have had many problems with social media. One of the ones I experience the most is finding out the intentions of the writer. This is due to the lack of inflection and volume and other components that we experience with verbals. The best communication is face to face, this is how you can achieve every component to communication usually.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, I would probably communicate with them way less often. I'm pretty bad already with these types of communication, often my friend get mad at me because I do not respond quickly, this is really evident with my girlfriend. I am not a big fan of instant communication all the time because, in my opinion its not natural.
I feel that social media can cause a number of problems when it comes to being understood. One example of this is misunderstanding a person that you are texting. This has happened to me several times. Misunderstanding a person is likely to happen if an argument over text is taking place. Because you can not use non-verbals and can not see the other person's facial expressions, you do not know how they are reacting to your messages. They may be offended by something that you did not mean to be offensive. You may say something that could upset them without even trying.
ReplyDeleteWithout these tools, I would communicate much less often. I feel that I have come to rely on these forms of communication. They are especially useful while I am away at school. Without them, I would not be able to connect as easily to my friends, boyfriend, and family. I enjoy using Skype so that I can actually talk to people "face-to-face" when I can not talk to them in person. I also feel that these forms of communication are useful in this fast-paced society. When I may not have time to call my parents in between classes, I can send them a quick text and then call them later when I have more time.
The one problem I have had with social media is people interpreting things the wrong way, sometimes I'm very sarcastic and you can't pick that up through a text or a post. This can sometimes make people think that I am mad or don't like them. On the other hand, I think that if people don't use emoticons or other things I think that they don't want to talk to me or I'm annoying them.
ReplyDeleteWithout these tools I would communicate less. I hardly actually "talk" on the phone now, unless it's important or I actually want to have a conversation without the difference in time between, texts, posts, etc. I can't imagine how anit-social people would think I am if we didn't have these tools.
One problem I've had with social media sites is people trying to bully others and make rude comments. Yes social media sites can be a good way to keep in touch, but many times, social media is used to cyberbully and for people to bully over the internet because it's easier than in person. In terms of being misunderstood, I feel like how people interpret what I say is totally the reverse of what I intend to say, due to how there is no expression present in communication through social media.
ReplyDeleteI feel I would communicate much less if I didn't use these social media sites. It's nearly impossible to keep in contact with people face to face these days, unless you go to the same school as them or you visit in person. Since I am away at college now, I don't see people everyday like I used to. I rely on these social media sites to stay in contact with people to make plans so that we can talk face to face when we see each other in person.
Social media has caused me some problems in the past. Because I tend to be very sarcastic when I talk to people in person, my sarcasm doesn't always transfer well over text messages or facebook chats. I like to joke around, but unfortunately some of my friends don't always pick up on that because they are unable to hear the tone in my voice. Usually they end up mad at me or use the classic line of "calm down".
ReplyDeleteBecause I live 80 miles from home, I would rarely speak to my friend or family if I didn't have any social media outlets. Unless, of course, I decided to mail them letters(which I'd prefer not to do). As of now, I usually text my mom throughout the day and talk to my dad once a week through a phone call. My dad isn't a big texter while my mom can't get enough of it. I normally don't talk on the phone unless I need to get an answer to a question right away or I feel I need to say something important. I communicate with my friends who are also away at college through facebook or my twitter account. Without social media, I believe my relationships would suffer because I would not be intact with my friends and family like I am now.
Social media has caused me some problems in the past. It is very easy for others to misunderstand what you're saying through texts and emails since they can't read your expressions and hear the tone of your voice, especially when you're just kidding or if you're being serious. There are also problems with cyber bullying, because when you're online, you're a lot more confident to say things you normally would be too afraid to say in person. People can say things that are much more insulting on line than in person.
ReplyDeleteIf I didn't have all of these tools for communication, I would at most only talk to my friends and family away from here once a week. Since I only live an hour away, I go home very often to see my family. If I was in the circumstance of not having the communication tools, I would most likely write letters a few times every week because I'm very close to my parents and my boyfriend lives back home as well.
I feel like everyone has been misunderstood through social media at one time or another. I don't really post a ton on the social media sites that I use, and if I do, it's usually something completely random. Therefore, the main thing I can think of is sarcasm. I tend to be a pretty sarcastic person, and that is not at all communicated well through social media or even text messaging.
ReplyDeleteThis situation is a little bit different for me. Ambrose is about 5 minutes away from my house. I visit my house to do laundry and eat with my parents at least once a week, so that wouldn't be a problem for me. I do use skype and texting to stay in touch with my friends though. My 2 best friends go to school at University of Northern Iowa and Luther, both are between 3 and 4 hours away from here. I skype them often and call them pretty much weekly. One of my other friends is currently living in Alabama, so I stay in touch with her though facetime, skype, and texting as well. Sometimes you just don't have time to make a phone call. I feel like I wouldn't remain as close to them if I didn't have these tools.
A huge issue with social media is the lack of expression. Just like in a text message, tone is a hard thing to interpret when there is no voice to give you that idea. Making a Facebook status or a tweet can be a joke or sarcastic but people viewing it might not interpret it the same way that you meant for them to.
ReplyDeleteIf the only form of communication I had was the telephone, I would probably hardly communicate with friends and family. For one, I have classes and homework to be doing during the day. At night I like to relax and watch TV or work out, which means during all of these times I would not be able to talk on the phone. Texting and social media allows me to contact my friends and family without being totally interrupted in my daily routine.
There are many different kinds of disadvantages in social media. One that I have experienced, which seems to be a big one, is how when you type you have no expression in your status's, comments, etc. This can lead to a misunderstanding in something that you write out through social media.
ReplyDeleteIf I did not have Facebook, email, and Skype I would not talk to my friends and family as much as I do. It would take a lot more effort to call your family multiple times a day. I already do not skype or email with my family, but if I did not have text messaging I would be very out of the loop to say the least. My friends I would only communicate with my best friends over the phone, and see my friends in person that I live by or see usually everyday.
There are many forms of miss communications that can come out the social media. One of these problems is when communicating a message via facebook. I posted a status sarcastically about a football game and my friends commented back and argued against it. It was brought up because it didn't portray my emotion.
ReplyDeleteIf I didn't have those forms of communication, it would be hard to keep up with the family, the friendships and the relationship I have. I would not be able to communicate with my family and friends back home. I also may have to break up with my girlfriend back home cause of the lack of communicationa dn how difficult it would be. But on the brighter side I would be having to go to visit my friends and that would make better interpersonal friendships.
1. What is one problem you have had when using social media and being misunderstood?
ReplyDeleteSocial media has a large share of promlems that can come without direct verbal communication. One of the main problems I seem to face when using social media is having certain things I say taken out of contex.Another problem some people may have with social media is that they may hurt a person's feeling unintentionally. It is tough to substitute with the verbal communication.
2. Think about if you didn’t have Facebook, texting, email, Skype, etc. How often would you communicate with your friends and family?
Without soical media, I think that the contact I have with my family would be the same. I call my parents once a week so not having the use of social media would not affect my realionship with them. My friends, however, would be a different story. I talk to my friends on facebook all of the time so not being able to do that would greatly make me more distant with them.
1.One issue I have had with social media is the broad audience. It's easy to forget the large base it reaches, especially with older relatives who may not interact a whole lot on these sites but still see everything that gets posted. It allows people to reveal things about themselves or their activities that they otherwise would not want to share with everyone.
ReplyDelete2.I would communicate with my friends very little if I didn't have social media. Between work, school, and travel, I hardly have any free time where I get to actually spend any time with them even though I live in Davenport. Communication with family would be entirely down to phone calls without social media, as I am the only person in my family who still lives in Davenport.
1. One problem that I have had with being misunderstood with social media is when I have said somethung the reciver of the message isn't sure sometimes what your tone is so something that I mean to be just a statement and mean nothing by can be read wrong and turned into a big deal when I really didn't mean for it to be bad or anything.
ReplyDelete2. I don't think that I would communicate at all really with friends or family if I didn't have social media. Social media cell phones and other devices used to communicate make it really easy totalk to family and friends and if that was taken away I think that it would be very hard to communicate with family that isn't around me much.
1. I think the biggest problem I have when using social media is the receiver understanding my sarcasm or tone of voice. Sometimes the message that I am saying in sarcasm could come across as something really mean. In a text message or email, the receiver would not understand my tone of voice to hear the way I am saying it. "Lol" just does not make the sarcasm come across the way I am saying it in my head.
ReplyDelete2. If I did not have social media, I would hardly ever talk to my friends or family. I call my parents a lot, but I cannot remember the last time I called one of my friends. We Skype a lot, so calling hardly ever happens unless we need to know something right away. I would still only talk to my parents about once a week, or if I needed something if I could only call them. If I am not allowed to use any cell phones at all, I would see my family and friends about once a month, which is not enough. I would feel so left out of everything. Social media really keeps us college kids connected with our worlds back home.
1. When using the social media I find myself having the most issues over text. When you are talking to someone over text, you can’t imagine how he or she are verbally saying something you can get very confused and lost in the conversation. You cannot understand sarcasm over a message, or when someone is starting to get angry with you. This is not better than the way you would talk to someone in person.
ReplyDelete2. If I didn’t have texting or Skype and any of that stuff then I am pretty sure I wouldn’t communicate that much with my friends unless I saw them wherever I went. Family in the other hand, I will always be able to communicate with. Sending letters back and forth isn’t so bad. Its old fashioned and nice to check your mail every now and then and see something waiting for you.