Monday, March 18, 2013

Discussion Questions: Emotions
Due: Wednesday, March 20, 3013 10am CT


1) How do you think emotions play a part in the communication process?
 2) Is there a particular instance in your own life that emotions have played a crucial role in communicating with others?

17 comments:

  1. 1) I think that without emotions, communication would be so boring. If we could not show any emotions, we would all be so plain and would not be different. Each person shows different emotions. I know that I tend to be more bubbly and happy, so I would be a completely different person if I could not smile and be happy.
    2) I think that when showing a friend empathy, emotions play a very crucial role. If a friend told me that their boyfriend just broke up with them, I would not smile and say that I was sorry. The message would not come across the way it was meant with a smile on my face. I would have to have a somber look on my face when apologizing and consoling them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I think emotions play a part in the communication process because they tell people how you are feeling. For example, if someone is angry with another person that will show through their emotions. They may use a loud tone of voice to show it or a mean look. The same goes for if someone is incredibly happy. They will most likely have a huge smile on their face and will seem carefree.

    2) There have been numerous moments in my life where emotions have played a crucial role in communicating. For example, when I have not agreed with something that a friend was doing, they could tell I did not approve right away because of my facial expressions, sometimes my tone of voice, and my choice of words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1)I think emotions play a big role in communication, when someone is talking to me I don’t want them to be empathetic. I want someone who will react to what I am saying, and give me feedback either verbally or non verbally. A simple gesture or crinkle in the face says so much about how a person feels about what you are saying.

    2)Yes, just recently my friend texted me about one of her cousins, whose wife had a miscarriage. Over text I could not express my emotions as well as I could’ve if I were with her in person. But I tried my best to tell her how I felt, I told her that it was very upsetting and saddening to me, and that I send my condolences to her cousin. Other than that I couldn’t really do much to express my emotions, it was a crucial role that I could not communicate thoroughly with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Emotions play a big part in our communication as human beings. Emotions allow us to identify how we think we feel, this make it easier to evaluate our needs due to a certain emotion. Also the better we can understand our emotions the better we should be able to identify what emotions other people are feeling. It is like anything else in life; generally, the more exposure we have to something the better we know it. Take this for example, because girls typically express their emotions more than guys, they can better tell what emotions they are feeling and what emotions others are feeling. Without emotions spoken language would miss out on a lot of it's richness, because we would probably lack nonverbals and cues that help us communicate.

    2. Yes, for one of my hobbies I act in theatre productions. In my personal opinion my moderate success is due to the knowledge I have about emotions. Take for example texting; something I am not at all good at. I the reason I believe I lack in this is due to the lack of richness it entails, I usually find I cannot 100% portray the feeling I am feeling. While in acting I am able to portray a variety of emotions, which in a way sets me free and allows me to be more of my self on a day to day basis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) Emotions play a part in communication as human beings, because they allow us to tell how we are feeling at that point in time or about a certain event. They allow us to read what other people are feeling and hopefully change what is happening so that everyone agrees and is comfortable with the situation.

    2) Yes, my parents can always tell when something is bothering me. I will be irritated by the littlest things, my parents will ask me why I am in such a bad mood and I usually try to push it off as nothing. But they know that something else is going on, most times it is because I'm stressed out about school or a situation with friends. Without my parents being able to see my emotion of getting angry at everything they would have never been able to find the underlying problem that I was having and help talk me through it and give me advice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Emotions play a huge role in communication. Without them, you wouldn't really be able to tell how other communicators feel or what they truly think about something. Your emotions affect your kinesics and your paralanguage because you can say one thing, but your body language and tone can say the total opposite.
    2. Yes. In my relationship with my mother, we can both really tell how the other is feeling and try to help them through those feelings. When I'm angry or upset, sometimes I can't figure out the exact reason why and the root of the issue. My mom is really good at figuring it out and helping me get past it. She also helps me in communicating those feelings to others if they're part of the thing that's upsetting me. She just helps me talk through it with her and get me in a better mood. I try to do the same with her when something with work upsets her. I try to be supportive and encouraging and give my opinion when she asks for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1.) Emotions are like our seventh sense, unlike the touch, sight, smell, taste and see, it is not something that people would normally think of as a sense. It is more like the sixth sense of intuition. It is present in our daily lives and we have learned to adapt it into our lives and learn from it. Without thinking about it, we use emotions to tell ourselves how others are feeling and from being able to understand how others feel, we then know what form of communication to use in certain situations. For example, if someone is sad we can tell by their frowning face, or tears coming down their cheeks. From this we know how to help them by using consoling language such as, "It's going to be alright" or "Tell me what is wrong?" Emotions play a bigger role in our communication process than most people realize. Without emotions humans would not be able to connect to one another on a deeper level.

    2.)I have always been an emotional person, my friends, family, and even people I barley know can tell how I am feeling just by looking at me. People refer to me as "she is always happy and smiling," so it is really easy to tell when I am upset. As much as I think that other can't tell that I am upset, they always do. I am grateful for this because I wouldn't have gotten through some difficult times in my life without others helping me. One particular instance was when my aunt was dying from cancer, my two closest friends could tell something was up and got it out of me. They helped me through one of the most difficult times in my life, which I am unsure of how I would be able to do that alone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emotions are a big part of communication, when we communicate we say how we feel sometimes. It is one thing to be told, but when people show their emotions through communication, it makes a communicating much clearer. I also understand it is hard for certain people to convey emotions to other people and sometimes that can lead to miscommunication because someone will not understand what you mean or how something was meant to sound.

    I experienced communication with emotion just this semester. When me and my three girlfriends had to tell our friend that we were not going to room with her. We were nervous to how she might react and feel when we told her. We were scared she would feel hurt and left out. We were also scared she would be mad at us. We did not want to make her emotions run high over roommate situations. When we finally told her she was mad at first because she ignored us, she let us know by not communicating and giving us the cold shoulder that she was upset. Eventually we knew she understood and forgave us because she went back to her normal self with us. We were glad to have a good friend that knew we didn't want to hurt her feelings on purpose and make her stress out about where she would live.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Emotions play a large part in the communication process. They help a person to express their feelings. Physical changes accompany emotions and these changes are the clues that help others to know how a person is feeling. Some examples of physical changes that accompany emotions might be posture, facial expression, gestures, and vocal tone. As we learned already, some people are emotionally stunted and have a difficult time putting a name to feelings. The people that have trouble with this typically have a more difficult time verbalizing emotions. People that are not good at verbalizing emotions may have problems with miscommunication in a relationship. It is almost always good to show some emotion to let others know how you are feeling. Doing this allows others to better connect with how you are feeling.
    2. There have been numerous times when emotions have played a role in my communication with others. One example of this would be when I was talking to my friend, Brittany. My dog had recently passed away, and she could tell that something was wrong before I even told her. I wanted to tell her about what had happened, but thinking about my dog got me upset and I began to cry. Because I was crying, she automatically knew that something was wrong and that I was sad. In this example, the physical changes in facial expression and the tears led Brittany to the conclusion that I was sad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. I think emotions are one of the biggest parts of communication. They can betray the words coming out of your mouth or enforce them. Emotions can be a part of a conversation or they can be ignored and that has a huge impact on the result of the communication, either positively or negatively. They can contribute to miscommunication or can clear it up because if emotions are interpreted the wrong way, things can turn out badly, but if they are communicated clearly, it can make the conversation or interaction much better.
    2. There are so many examples when emotions played a part in my communication. In fact, emotions are probably part of almost every interaction that I have, however subtly. One obvious example where emotion has played a role is when I'm upset with something my boyfriend has done, but it's not big enough to fight over. I can't always move on quickly, so he can tell something is wrong, but I'm not always willing to share, and that in itself can cause an argument.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1) I think that emotions play a large role in communication because your emotions i think set the tone for the conversation that your having with another person. How your feeling whatever your emotion is when your talking to someone is going to be a huge part of if you having a happy conversation or an angry conversation.
    2) I have had many times where when I was having a conversation with someone that i had to make surey emotions didn't get in the way. I had to stop and think that this isn't my life I can't get worked up over a decision that this person made and is now telling me about because she is upset and if I were to get angry because she made a poor choice then our conversation would turn into a agrguement rather then a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1.I think emotions play a very key and critical role in the communication process. They allow us to interact with each other through various facial expressions or posture that might convey the emotion we are feeling in response to a certain situation. An example would be if someone is feeling disgusted because of a food they didn’t like the taste of, they would make a sour face or stick their tongue out to indicate disliking of the food. Another example would be if you slouch, you are feeling disinterested or tired and want to communicate this message across through emotions.
    2.Yes, there have been many times when emotions have played such a large role in communicating with others. One example is when I became extremely stressed out from my grandmother passing away. My whole entire body just shut down; it was difficult to even function properly. I was a little depressed and felt tremendous amounts of guilt for not having spent more time with her while she was still alive. This affected my communication with others majorly. I was much more prone to lash out at others and it affected my social life because I withdrew myself from people and wanted to be alone for some time. Some communication with others stopped completely because of this anger I was portraying. The relationships I had with many people changed for the worse or just stopped in general because of this change in the way I was acting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1) I feel as if emotions play one of the largest parts of communication. Not only does it tell the person exactly how you are feeling, but possibly why you are feeling that way. It has the ability to emphasize things to add a certain spice to make a person feel a certain way or possibly even another emotion.
    2) In any situation emotions prove to be the most crucial aspect of any communication. If you cannot effectively control your emotions in a professional setting you are setting yourself up for failure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1) How do you think emotions play a part in the communication process?

    I think that emotions play a large part in the communication process. Without emotions, communication would be difficult because we would not be able to use nonverbal cues to express feelings. The nonverbal cues help us to emphasize certain aspects of communication. Along with communicating our own messages to other people, emotions also help us interpret how others are feeling when we are communicating. For instance, if someone came to me and told me that their friend needs help, I could judge the seriousness of the friend’s injuries by the tone and cues coming from the person asking for help. We need emotions to make the communication process easier.
    2) Is there a particular instance in your own life that emotions have played a crucial role in communicating with others?

    There have been many instances in my life in which emotions have played an important part in my communication with others. One example was during a high school football game. During the game, the opposing team scored a touchdown. This enraged me because I am a very competitive person and I do not like to lose. People on the team, including myself, lashed out at one another for messing up. Doing this did help the team at all. My coach had to calm us down because we had too much emotion and it was affecting our judgment. Looking back on the whole scenario, I realize emotions greatly affected the way I communicated to other players on the team.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1. Emotions play a significant role in communication.Emotions can be showed through communication through different intensities of the speaker's voice. At times, emotions can hold someone back and make them say things they do not mean to say. For example, when I have talked to a good friend that was sad, all he wanted to do is hold his problem to his self and not tell me. It affected the communication between him and I when I was just wanting to help him. Emotions can help the listener know if there is something wrong with the speaker and that is why they play an significant role.

    2.Yes there have been many instances of emotion in my communication. When my grandmother died, it had hit me hard. I was very the night she had passed away. But for some reason I still went to school the next day. The people that knew that she had passed away, kept telling me that I didn't need to be there. But the people who I did not tell, asked me when something was wrong through how I looked and my nonverbal expressions. So I had told them and I showed my sorrow every time I told someone. It may not be the best emotion of my life, but it played a huge role in my communication.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1) I believe that emotions definitely play a huge role. If you are sad or upset you are more likely to be closed off and not communicate with the people around you. On the other hand, if you're extremely excited about something you tend to talk more about it or just talk more in general. Also, if you are depressed or sad or what not, most of the time people communicate with others to try and make themselves feel better.

    2) I'm sure there has been times in my life where my emotions effected my communication. I can't think of a specific even where it really stood out to me though.

    ReplyDelete